Political Science Assignment
Many countries have gone through various ways of governing-by one, by a group, or by the people. Pick one developing country. Examine this country's political history and current barriers in developing their democracy. Create a concise argument on the type of democracy they should institute and why.
Use the list to select your developing country.
Chapter 7. Parliamentary Democracy: Pros and Cons of Perishable Governments
• Describe Aristotle's concept of a mixed regime, and identify a modern political system that perhaps best embodies the Aristotelian model.
• Compare the U.S. presidential model to British-style parliamentary systems.
• Argue the case both for and against a powerful executive branch.
• Compare and contrast the executives in the UK, Germany, and France.
• Compare and contrast the British parliament and the U.S. Congress.
• Explain the view that Japanese government and society is Western in form but Japanese in substance.
• Identify the obstacles to parliamentary democracy in India and Israel compared to countries in Western Europe.
Chapter 8. States and Economies in Transition: Between Democracy and Yesterday
• Discuss the idea that the system of rule in Russia under Putin has more in common with tsarist Russia than Western-style democracies.
• Define the term "transitional state" and describe what changes in the world have caused or incentivized states to undertake major economic and political reforms.
• Compare and contrast the progress of various East European countries in making the transition from a centrally planned to a market-based economy.
• Identify key Asian transitional states and characterize the political system in each country before and after the transition.
• Name several transitional states in Latin America and explain the pressures for change as well as the historical and cultural obstacles to liberalization in these countries.
Chapter 9. Development: Myths and Realities
• Explain the concept of development in the study of politics and economics.
• Discuss the challenges involved in building a new nation-state.
• Compare and evaluate India and Nigeria as models of economic development.
• Identify and elaborate on five obstacles to development.
• Choose one failed state, describe how it failed, and analyze the failure.
• Explain why failed states pose problems for regional stability and world order.
Text Book: Magstadt, T. M. (2017). Understanding politics: Ideas, institutions, and issues. Australia: Cengage Learning.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.