In earlier topics, you explored the tenet of conscious leadership and the influence of self-awareness on your leadership style. You established that a clear understanding of your abilities, motivation, and goals provides a firm foundation for leading others. Leadership studies demonstrate that the most effective leaders know how to draw upon self-leadership skills to in turn motivate and lead others to expand their strengths to ultimately better serve the goals of an organization. For this assignment, you will continue to study conscious leadership and look at a leadership example from contemporary media and evaluate how well the particular leader exemplifies the qualities of effective and ethical conscious leadership. Then, you will compose your own leadership philosophy statement to articulate the qualities that will make you an effective conscious leader of people and organizations.
For Part 1, select a relevant and topical leadership issue from current news media that revolves around ethics and ethical decision making. Topics must be approved by your instructor. Once approved, research the situation and gather data in order to evaluate the dynamics of the situation. Write an evaluation (500-750 words) of the situation that addresses the following:
1. The power bases used by the leader.
2. The influence tactics used by the leader.
3. The leadership style of the leader.
4. The outcome (or potential outcome) of the situation.
Conclude by justifying whether or not you think this leader supports the values of conscious capitalism. Is the leader's leadership style effective? Do you believe the leader acted ethically in the situation? Be sure to consider each tenet of conscious capitalism in your leader evaluation.
Next, imagine yourself as a practitioner of servant leadership. You have been appointed into the leadership role in this same circumstance. Explain how the situation would be different. Address the four criteria listed above in your discussion and incorporate the principles of conscious capitalism by explaining how your personal values and style are influenced by each tenet.
For Part 2, develop a leadership philosophy statement as an appendix to your evaluation in Part 1. Begin by reviewing your self-assessment results from Topic 2 and reflecting on what you have learned about effective leadership and conscious capitalism in the course. Keep in mind that one's leadership philosophy is a unique statement that encapsulates your own view of leadership, so the final product may vary, but your statement should incorporate the following:
1. Personal values and beliefs that influence your leadership style.
2. Past experiences or people that have influenced the development of those values.
3. Expectations of self and others.
4. Leadership style and influence tactics.
Your goal is to create a distinctive statement (250-500 words) that incorporates the elements outlined above. The end product should clearly articulate how you view yourself as a leader and how others would view you as a leader. It should also make clear how you can contribute to the success of other people and an organization as a whole.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.