3 to 4 PAGE ESSAY
Latent Print Processing
You will process 2 porous and 2 nonporous items for latent prints using supplies you are able to obtain as described below:
1. Black fingerprint powder
2. Crushed Charcoal
3. Unsweetened Cocoa
4. Corn Starch (last resort)
5. Fingerprint powdering brush or large make-up brush.
6. Clear wide scotch tape.
7. Index cards.
It is not mandatory for you to purchase fingerprint supplies for this project.
If you are interested in buying supplies, a 2 oz container of black fingerprint powder costs approximately $6.70 @ http://www.sirchie.com/forensics/latent-print-development/regular-powders-brushes/regular-fingerprint-powder.html
Process two of the following Nonporous items: window, glass table, or mirror and a door handle
Process two of the following Porous items: piece of paper and a wooden furniture item or wooden door
Please develop a 2 to 3 page essay detailing your experience with latent print processing, your results, and the value of latent prints.
Be sure to address the following in your essay:
1. The total number of latent or partial latent fingerprints you located on each item and their location on the specific item
2. A description of the supplies and techniques you used
3. Your expectations vs. your results
4. The value of latent fingerprint evidence in criminal investigations
NOTE: if you are planning on using real black fingerprint powder for the project: the powder is not healthy to inhale. I suggest you either wear a painter's mask or a simple bandanna over your nose for safety reasons.
Your essay should be 2 to 3 pages in length, written in APA 6th edition format and include at least two references.