Assignment: Principles Of Retailing
The following Course Outcomes are assessed in this Assignment:
1: Identify ethical and legal issues in retailing.
2: Describe how personal experiences influence workplace culture.
Introduction: What you do as a private individual as well as in your educational and professional life are related and can affect the world around you. In this Assignment you will apply ethical and legal concepts regarding personal influences in the workplace.
Instructions: Read the scenario and then address the checklist items in a minimum of 350 words in a Microsoft Word document using APA format.
During high school, Jan took liberties with the truth in posting to social media concerning her accomplishments, grades, and accolades from her instructors. As a result, she garnered a lot of positive attention on social media and started to have several hundred followers on her blog.
Right out of high school, her first job in accounting was as a bookkeeper for a small hometown retailer. When she finished her college education, majoring in accounting and financed by a government student loan, she got a job upon graduation with a larger retailer in a nearby small city while she studied to take the Certified Public Accountant Exam. During her time there, again she boasted of accomplishments and accolades she never attained. But she wanted to boost her image amongst her peers. As a consequence, she influenced her immediate department, where everyone started to compete in terms of what they had accomplished at school and in previous jobs. Some of the employees in the accounting department did not espouse such competition and resented Jan's "inflated stories," as they referred to them. Others were not so kind and actually made some accusations that she was clearly lying. The department became increasingly divisive, to the point that the human resources department was contacted by one of the employees. When asked about the situation, Jan's boss would only state that certainly the atmosphere was "not conducive to productivity." The HR department started an investigation looking at Jan's application, her college scores, finances, interview notes, etc.
Checklist: Based on the ethical approaches tutorial content in the Learning Activities and research you conduct on the Internet:
• Identify the ethical implications of the scenario events and how they were handled using either consequential, nonconsequential, or virtue ethics as defined in the Learning Activities.
• Identify the legalities that would be involved in the scenario.
• Describe Jan's personal characteristics that influenced her behavior.
• What could Jan have done once she graduated high school if she wanted to correct how her character was perceived by those on social media and in person?
• Explain how Jan's personal experiences influenced the retail culture in which she worked.
Also explain the implications for society if everyone behaved as Jan did in the scenario.
• Explain the strengths and weaknesses of Jan's personal experiences in this scenario that might impact her professional future.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.