Assignment: Conflicting Viewpoints Essay
Synthesizing and Writing
When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you try to resist biases toward your own point of view? This assignment asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking.
The assignment is divided into two parts.
For Part I of the assignment, you read a book excerpt about critical thinking processes, reviewed the Procon.org Website in order to gather information, and engaged in prewriting to examine your thoughts.
* Remember that in the Discussion, you examined the biases discussed in Chapter 2 of the webtext.
In Part II of the assignment, you will write a paper to synthesize your ideas.
Part II- Writing
Write at three to four page paper in which you:
1. State your position on the topic you selected for Assignment.
2. Identify three premises (reasons) from the Procon.org website that support your position and explain why you selected these specific reasons.
3. Explain your answers to the â€œbelievingâ€ questions about the three premises opposing your position from the Procon.org website.
4. Examine at least two types of biases that you likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your position.
5. Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases.
6. Discuss whether or not your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the â€œBelieving Game, even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
• Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
• Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
• Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Identify the informal fallacies, assumptions, and biases involved in manipulative appeals and abuses of language.
• Create written work utilizing the concepts of critical thinking.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in critical thinking skills and informal logic.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.