Intro to Humanities
Term Paper: Create a 3 to 5 page essay on either a cultural event you attend or a book about a historical or cultural topic relevant
1) Ancient mysteries - lost lands/catastrophes, architectural wonders, legends, hoaxes, explorers, discoveries, supernatural beliefs, and inventions, Stonehenge, Easter Island, and the Pyramids, etc.
2) Folklore and Humans - origins of writing, alternative medicine, family life in history, origins of burial practices, astrology, and/or seven wonders of the ancient world.
3) Architecture - Great Wall of China, Angkor Wat, Mount Rushmore, Taj Mahal, and Machu Picchu.
4) Historical Eras - neolithic revolutions, stone age, first civilizations, iron age empires, indigenous peoples, globalization, etc.
5) Ancient World - Rise of Christianity, rise of law, Monotheism vs Polytheism, Rome's rise and fall, the first Chinese Empires, etc.
6) Middle Ages - Byzantium, African civilizations, European feudalism, last flowering of Asia's ancient empires, conquest of New Spain, history of magic.
7) Renaissance/Enlightenment - contributions of intellectuals, contributions of artists, contribution of religion, role of science, exploration/discoverey, birth of nations, rise of democracy, rise of capitalism, etc.
8) Modern Times - Colonialism, Industrial revolution, modern wars, rise of Marxism, modern art, rise of feminism, social class issues, civil rights movement, space age culture, etc.
9) theoretical issues - rise of humanism, life-cycles of civilizations, ancient or modern philosophers, different styles of art, East/West relations, etc.
10) review a popular movie about a cultural theme, review a documentary about a historical theme, review a book about a topic from class, etc