Multiple choice question:
1. What is the main cause of diversity among human populations?
A. Responses to different environments
B.Physical differences of the first Homo sapiens
C. Genetic differences in the first hominids
D.The different species of Homo sapiens
2.Which people allowed the Hebrews to return to Jerusalem and rebuild their temple following their Babylonian exile?
3. Which of the following statements about Buddhism is NOT true?
A. Buddhists believe in following the Eightfold Path.
B. Buddhists are monotheistic.
C. Buddhists follow the teachings of Siddhartha.
D. Buddhists believe in living a righteous, peaceful life.
4. Which of the following developments led to huge changes in warfare and travel?
A. The domestication of horses
B. The development of iron tools and weapons
C. The development of bridges
D. The potter's wheel
5. Which of these was NOT a shared trait of early Harappan and Mesopotamian civilizations?
A. Brick-walled cities
C. Raised citadels
D. Origins along a major river
6. Which empire conquered and brought an end to the Chaldean Empire?
7. The Ganges river is sacred to:
8. Ancient India differed from ancient China, Persia, and Rome in that India:
A. was more religious.
B. never amassed a large army.
C. was unable to build a long lasting empire.
D. was more philosophical and less concerned with government
9. Upon which of the following basic doctrines did Jains and Buddhists agree?
A. The concept of reincarnation is a myth.
B. All souls should strive to attain moksha.
C. The caste system should be rejected.
D. There is only one god.
10. By 10,000 B.C.E., humans inhabited all of the continents EXCEPT:
A. North America.
11.What is the major source for information about Aryan India?
A. The Vedas
B. Archaeological remains
C. Harappan cities
D. Legal texts
12. Where did hominids first emerge?
B. South America
13.Which of these defines patriarchal societies?
B. Male authority
C. No economic role for women
D. Female authority
14. The Sumerians created all of the following EXCEPT:
B. copper and bronze tools.
C. a number system based on sixty.
D. a phonetic alphabet.
15. Which of the following statements best accounts for the failure of Akhenaton's reign?
A. The Egyptian people viewed his reign as illegitimate because he was not the direct descendent of Amenhotep III.
B. He invested the majority of the country's resources on expansionist policies and neglected domestic priorities.
C. He was obsessed with his religion to the neglect of other affairs, as he tried desperately to reform Egypt into a monotheistic society.
D. He was a child king who was murdered before reaching adulthood.
16. Which of these was an innovation that accompanied the advent of farming?
D. The use of metals
17. Which of the following does NOT accurately describe gender roles for women during post-Vedic India?
A. Women were expected to remain confined to the home after the death of the spouse.
B. Girls were often betrothed before the age of 10.
C. Girls often married older men upon the onset of puberty.
D. Women retained an equal role in religion.
18. Which of the following statements does NOT accurately characterize the Neanderthals?
A. They were first discovered in Germany.
B.They are ancestors to Homo sapiens.
C. They had larger brains than other hominids.
D. They are believed to have lived 200,000 to 30,000 years ago.