Assignment: Advanced Network Design
This assignment is designed to assess students' knowledge and skills related to the following learning outcomes:
a. Analyse network design requirements
b. Develop appropriate frameworks and standards for network implementation
Length: 1000 - 1500 words.
ABC Internet Exchange Point (IXP) is a distributed exchange, currently present at multiple independent colocation facilities in Australia (Perth, Sydney and Melbourne). Each site is equipped with one or more access devices to enable connections to the ABC infrastructure. The current implementation of the AMS-IX peering platform uses an MPLS/VPLS infrastructure. ABC network connect with either Gigabit Ethernet (GE), 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GE), 100 Gigabit Ethernet (100GE) or multiples of these on the access devices. ABC has 15 corporates and 100 local clients in Australia.
Now ABC is acquiring another site for IXP based in Adelaide. Projected growth is estimated to be another 40 additional employees and 30 local clients in Adelaide IXP. The aggressive growth has brought about some unique challenges and opportunities. In your role as a Network Manager for this project, you are required to design a network for ABC Adelaide IXP which needs to be connected through Perth and Melbourne IXP with optical fiber minimum 10 GE connection for redundancy purpose.
Upon initial planning, you identified there are 40 employees at site in Adelaide. Site has 2 levels, at level 2 they have core network setup of 10 network racks. Each rack has 10 routers, 1 switch and a server. 30 Desktops are placed at level 1 with additional 10 laptops for Management staff. IP phones are located on each desk to communicate to service desk. Also, 2 wireless printers are required at Level 1. There is a conference room in which one display screen preferably smart is required for video conferencing facility.
Site has lobby for employees which is 200 meters open space where wireless access is required. Only authorized users should have the access to this site and biometric authentication is required as per client requirements. Selection of appropriate standards and technology for network implementation plays a vital role in this project.
Your task is to come up with a logical, efficient and scalable network design. ABC has allowed an adequate budget to purchase any networking devices that may be required, yet obviously does not want to spend more than necessary. In addition, industry-specific standards must be used and apply to IT infrastructure and services.
Write a report and include:
1. Build a document giving all the necessary network designs (enough information should be provided that will allow any technician to build your network structure from scratch).
2. Simple IP addressing solution (step by step workout of the calculations) that leaves room for growth, is easy to administer and has the minimum wastage of available IP address space.
3. Write configurations of each networking device which are included in the network.
4. Configure two switches and two PCs on physical networking devices and demonstrate the working model.
Demonstration: Students should be ready with all setup and configurations before start of the laboratory class. Tutor will ask 3-5 questions to each student to demonstrate any configuration of the setup. Demonstration from each student should not be more than 5 minutes.
In your report include the following contents
• Project Scope
• Detailed Network diagrams
• Project hardware requirements
- Name of the network device with manufacturer's name, series, model and ports
- Type of the cables used
- Name of the server, PC with specification such as operating system, RAM, hard disk etc.
• Network device configurations
- Include most of the suitable feature which you have studied from laboratories 1 to 6.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.