Function of Leadership
The significance of leadership in management will be clear if we study the functions which are performed by a leader. The function is as follows: and also defined as a importance
- Determination of goals: A leader performs the creative function of laying down goals and policies for the group he is leading. He also acts as a guide in interpreting the goals and policies.
- Organization of activities: A good leader divides organization activities among the employees in a systematic manner. The relationships between them are clearly laid down. This reduces the chances of conflict between them.
- Achieving coordination: A leader integrates the goals of the individuals with the organizational goals and creates a community of interests. He keeps himself informed about the working of the group. He shares information with the group for the coordination of its efforts.
- Representation of workers: A leader is a representative of his group. He takes initiative in all matters of interest to the group. He also attempts to fulfill the psychological needs of his followers.
- Providing guidance. A leader guides the subordinates towards the achievement of organizational objectives. He is available for advice whenever a subordinate faces any problem.
- Inspiration of employees; A good leader inspires the subordinates for better performance. Motivation is necessary for getting the desired work from the subordinates. The leader motivates the employees by providing them economic and non-economic rewards.
- Building employee's morale: Good leadership is indispensable for high employee morale. The leader shapes the thinking and attitudes of the group,. He develops good human relations and facilities interactions among the members of the group. He maintains voluntary cooperation and discipline among followers.
- Facilitating change: Leadership is the mechanism to convince workers about their need for change. Dynamic leadership is the corner-stone of organizational change. An effective leader is able to overcome resistance to change on the part of workers and thus facilitates change.