Assignment: Business Style
For this assignment we are going to examine a current events strategic decision and evaluate some of the leadership issues involved.
In the last few weeks, Amazon decided not to go forward with plans to open a headquarters operation in New York (Queens). The company leadership had selected this location after an extensive bidding process, in which many cities pitched the benefits of their locations. There are several reasons given for Amazon withdrawing its plans, and many of the reasons relate to community opposition.
Now the Governor of New York State has asked Amazon to reconsider its decision.
You are an analyst working at Amazon, and Jeff Bezos himself has asked you for advice on whether to reconsider. You should write a brief report in which you must include all of those details below:
1. Summarize the current situation. (you will find relevant information in the new york business press such as NY Times)
2. Evaluate 2 scenarios:Reconsider/Don't reconsider
- Who are key stakeholders?
- What are risks?
- What are possible benefits?
- Are there issues of ethics or social responsibility?
- What data would you like to see in order to make the best decision?
Note that you will not have time to find or collect all the data you might want. This paper is an outline of your approach to making the decision. It is the kind of work that is often done in a corporation at the start of a project so that everyone knows what will be included.
For this paper you may use "business style" writing with bullets, formatting etc. You do not need to write a formal "essay".
The paper should be succinct and focused. Most bosses (and Bezos in particular) want to go right to the key points, and not spend time on too much descriptive detail.
To do this project well you will need to do a small amount of research, and to consider some of the concepts we have discussed in class.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.