Assignment: Theory Paper Guidelines
Pick a fictional character (can be from TV, movies, books, etc.) and write a paper applying a theory to the problems faced by that character. The paper should be 5-6 pages (excluding title page/references), double-spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman font, with at least 3 references cited throughout the paper. Your paper needs to be in APA format and have the following:
Title Page - in APA format
- Introduce me to your character. Tell me who they are (including demographic information such as age, gender, SES, etc.), their background, and any issues they are currently facing. Give me any pertinent info to better understand their issues.
- Assume I have never heard of this person - be thorough with your descriptions. Problems/Issues (at least 2)
- Specifically list the problems/issues from your introduction and tell me how you know those are problems needing to be addressed (tie it back to descriptions in the introduction). The introduction should describe the behaviors/thoughts, while this section should be conclusions based on those behaviors/thoughts.
- You don't have to diagnose the client with a particular disorder... But if you think they actually do have one, you need to back that up by tying their symptoms to the DSM-5 criteria for that disorder.
- Which theory would you use when counseling this character? Tell me why you chose this theory (e.g., how you know this theory relates to the character's problems, whether it is appropriate for their age group, etc.).
Therapeutic Goals (at least 2)
- List the specific goals you would address with this client and tell me why you chose them. Make sure the goals are specific enough that you would be able to tell when the goals have been met!
Interventions/Techniques (at least 3)
- Outline the interventions/techniques you would use when counseling this client. Describe what they would be like with the client presented.
- These need to be from the theory you chose earlier in the paper.
- Tell me why you chose the techniques you chose. And tell me which goal(s) each technique would address. For example, you wouldn't try to help a client dispute irrational thoughts if they didn't present with any irrational thoughts.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.