Assignment: Cross-Cultural Perspectives Of Tourism
This week we will be discussing nonverbals and the influence they have on culture. Watch the following video and respond to the prompt (500 words min. in total):
Youtube VIdeo: "Your body language may shape who you are | Amy Cuddy"
1) If someone were to analyze and explain to you your nonverbal tendencies, how would they describe them? (i.e., how do you stand? How animated are you when you talk? How is your overall body posture? Do your nonverbals represent a confident and/or extroverted individual?) If you are unsure about this, ask a friend.
2) What is the relationship between your nonverbals and your identity? - Do your nonverbals match your characteristics?
3) Now that you are more aware of your nonverbal tendencies, do you plan on trying to change them? If so, how? If not, why not?
Watch the following videos and respond to the prompts. You may have to conduct your own research to assist in answering these last questions. If so, please include your references.
Youtube Video: "Proxemics: the study of personal space"
Youtube Video: "Personal Space: How Close is Too Close?"
4) Explain what proxemics means as related to intercultural communication
5) Which countries rank the highest in the need for personal space?
6) Which countries rank the lowest in the need for personal space?
7) Where do you fit on the continuum of preference for personal space? (i.e., do you feel uncomfortable when people stand close to you) - Why do you feel this way?
Youtube Video: "Japanese train station during rush hour"
Youtube Video: "The Most Overcrowded Trains in the World!"
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.