Assignment: Phenomenological Research Methods
The assignment instructions note that Husserl and Heidegger are two prominent phenomenological philosophers. The instructions also indicate that you are to identify and discuss two phenomenological research methods that have emerged from each of those philosophers' theories.
Philosophy is largely theoretical, while research methods are applied. Be sure as you approach this assignment you are focusing on the research methods and the psychologists/theorists who developed them, not the philosophers.
In other words, you will want to identify psychologists and theorists such as Moustakas, Giorgi, Smith, Van Kaam, van Manen, etc., and discuss their research methods and how they relate to the original philosophies of Husserl and Heidegger.
Also, be sure you understand the primary difference between the two philosophies of phenomenology since that will drive your understanding of what research methods emerged from each. The attached article from Finlay should help, in addition to other research you will conduct on the methods.
Phenomenology & Practice, Volume 3 (2009), No. 1, pp. 6-25.
Debating Phenomenological Research Methods by Linda Finlay.
The quest to understand the lived experience and the philosophical structures of experience and consciousness is the focus of a movement that began in the early years of the 20th Century. The movement is called phenomenology because the movement explores the lived experience of phenomena. Edmund Husserl and Martin Heidegger were two of the prominent philosophers who developed this method of inquiry though each took a significantly different philosophical approach to understanding human experience. In this assignment, you will discuss the psychology research methods that emerged from the philosophies of Husserl and Heidegger and the researchers who developed those methods.
Write a paper (1,250-1,500 words) in which you discuss both the phenomenological research methods in psychology that emerged from the philosophies of Husserl and Heidegger and the theorists/psychologists who developed those methods. Include the following in your paper:
1. A discussion of at least two phenomenological research methods that emerged from the phenomenological philosophy of Husserl. What were the central tenets of each method? What is known about the theorists/psychologists who developed each method?
2. A discussion of at least two phenomenological research methods that emerged from the phenomenological philosophy of Heidegger. What were the central tenets of each method? What is known about the theorists/psychologists who developed each method?
3. A contrast of the primary differences among the phenomenological research methods identified above. How does each method address approaches to data gathering, data analysis, and the role of the researcher?
4. A research-based statement of and rationale for the method you believe allows the best understanding of human experience.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.