Assignment: Discussion-Ethics In Business
This Module focuses on the operations side of running a business. Every business should have a plan for product or service distribution and management of suppliers and inventory. In this module, you will discuss the factors that need to be considered while operating a business.
This module also focuses on the business management of employees. It deals initially with human resource management (HRM) processes, such as those related to hiring employees and building teams, the responsibilities of a manager to successfully maintain a good workforce, and the possible firing or laying off of employees.
Complete the following readings early in the module:
• Module overview
• From your course textbook, Entrepreneurship: Starting and operating a small business, read the following chapters:
o Operating for Success
o Management, Leadership, & Ethical Practices
o Appendix 3 BizBuilder Business Plan
• From the Argosy University online library resources, read the following article:
o Prater, E., & Ghosh, S. (2005). Current operational practices of U.S. small and medium-sized enterprises in Europe. Journal of Small Business Management, 43(2), 155-169. (ProQuest Document ID: 221006693).
o Gaskill, L.R., Van Auken, H. E., & Manning, R. A. (1993). A factor analytic study of the perceived causes of small business failure. Journal of Small Business Management, 31(4), 18-31. (ProQuest Document ID: 220986551).
In this Module, you reviewed the operations management of any business that wants to succeed. Special attention was given to supply chain management, quality control, and use of technology to improve performance. You also discussed the management and leadership of successful businesses. You reviewed the importance of an efficient and effective HRM and the development of an ethical culture with a focus on the corporate social responsibility.
In this modules second assignment, you will deliver the fourth step toward preparing the business plan and submit it to the Assignment Titled: Business Plan Breakdown 4-The Operations Plan. You need to perform a complete evaluation of the operations of the future businesses and prepare an operations plan.
Assignment Summary: Module Assignment 1:
Discussion-Ethics in Business
Tim Smith is purchasing a business named Underground Shoes and Accessories near Lutz, Florida. The business has had several brushes with the law during the past few years, dealing with claims of false advertising and wrongful termination of employees. As a result, Smith is concerned about the ethical culture of the firm.
In this assignment, you will review the concept of ethics discussed in this module to critically evaluate the existing or potential ethical problems in Smith's business and help him propose solutions to eliminate the problems.
Respond to the following points:
• What specific techniques could Smith use to increase the emphasis on business ethics when he takes control of the firm? Explain.
• What, in your opinion, can be done to improve the human resource management (HRM) of the firm, to avoid future legal problems?
• Post your responses to this Discussion Area. While responding, address issues brought up in your posts and compare them with. Write your initial response in 300-500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Do the following when responding: Read your answers. Provide substantive comments by contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources; building on the remarks or questions; or sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to their ideas. Make sure your writing is clear, concise, and organized; demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
The response should include a reference list. Double-space, using Times New Roman 12 pnt font, one-inch margins, and APA style of writing and citations.