SCHOOL DISTRICT ASSIGNED: Lago Vista ISD
1. Where is the district located? [Note: Giving a single street address is not an adequate answer.]
2. How many students attend the district?
3. How many students attend public schools statewide? [The database allows you to view statewide data in addition to individual district data.]
4. What is the district's demographic profile? Write a paragraph in which you compare and contrast the racial/ethnic makeup of the district's student body with the racial/ethnic makeup of public school students statewide.
5. Some youngsters are at significant risk of dropping out of school or otherwise failing academically because of life circumstances. The following website discusses risk factors for dropping out or failing: https://www.ets.org/Media/Research/pdf/RD_Connections18.pdf. The Tribune database includes statistics showing the percentage of students with various risk factors for each district and for statewide. Write a paragraph in which you compare and contrast district students with students statewide in terms of academic risk factors. Based on the data, would you conclude that the district faces a relatively challenging risk environment compared with the risk environment statewide? Discuss. Remember: Risk of dropping out is not the same as actually dropping out. Do NOT include actual dropout rates in your analysis of this question.
6. The website includes data showing student enrollment in different programs (bilingual/ESL, career and technical, etc.) How does the district compare with statewide averages in terms of student enrollment in different programs?
7. How do you rate the academic performance of the district? Write a paragraph in which you compare and contrast the academic performance of district students with students statewide. Use at least two of the measures given on the website, discussing why each measure is important. Do not use dropout rates and graduation rates as two separate measures. Do not use ACT and SAT scores as two separate measures. You can use them as one measure, but you must include another measure as well.
8. How do you rate the quality of the district's faculty? Write a paragraph comparing the strength of district personnel with statewide averages using data found in the database. Be sure to identify the measures that you consider most appropriate for assessing faculty quality. Do NOT use student performance data to address this question.
9. Assume that you are a parent considering purchasing a home in the district. Would you be comfortable having your children attend its schools? Write a paragraph giving your overall evaluation of the district based on the data found at the website.
Taxes Politics Todays
By Mark P. Jones and William Earl Maxwell
Attachment:- Comparing School Districts.rar