Part A: Answer each of the following questions in one or two paragraphs.
- What is required to implement an organization's commitment to social responsibility? What are the main obstacles to implementing socially responsible policies? Name specific actions that can be taken toward increased social responsibility.
- What is departmentalization? Explain departmentalization based on work, products, geography, and customers. Provide an example of each.
- What does the acronym SWOT stand for? Describe a SWOT analysis and explain its purpose.
Part B: Answer each of the following questions in one to four sentences.
1. Define the term six sigma.
2. How is the balance of trade related to exports, imports, trade surpluses, and deficits?
3. In the context of communication, what is perception?
4. Define the term organizational decentralization.
5. Briefly summarize Simon's principle of bounded rationality as it applies to satisficing.
6. The terms consideration and initiating structure emerged from the OhioState studies. Explain what these terms mean in relationship to leadership.
7. Explain the difference between positive and negative reinforcement.
8. Define the term system as it relates to management. What is the difference between an open and a closed system?
9. In one sentence each, describe the five basic management tasks. The five basic functions are planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling.
10. Describe how a manager would use the critical-incident appraisal method for assessing an employee.
11. What is the difference between group norms and group cohesiveness? Give a simple example of each concept.