Discuss the below:
Mary Wright is a human resources consultant for a telecommunication s company in Miami, Florida. Recently her company decided to expand its operations overseas in the Arab Emirates, in Dubai. Mary has worked for the company for more than 7 years, possesses a Master's degree, is fluent in four languages (English, Spanish, Arab, and French), and has t he required management expertise to move on to a much greater role.
Due to Mary's extensive professional background and dedication to the company, her company has identified her as a strong contender to support their expansion efforts in Dubai and has offered Mary to fill the role of VP of Human Resources and Employee Relations. Mary will report to the newly appointed COO in Dubai. Mary has accepted this new role and professional challenge and is expected to move to Dubai in 90 days.
Her new assignment overseas includes a compensation and benefit package that is quite competitive and exceeds all of her expectations. Mary ha s never visited Dubai but has always been attracted to that part of the world. This first new assignment will give her the opportunity to work as an expatriate abroad and build a strategic IHRM partnership in Dubai and other regions. She has been directed by the COO to develop, train, and position a team of both home - and host - country professionals, attract, recruit and select qualified global talent, set new performance management standards, develop a competitive compensation package, develop a competency - based program, and introduce an IHRM strategic plan to serve as a global model to lead a transformational vision of change and chart the course of the organization into the future. This new business model is expected to gain global market share and increase bottom - line results across the globe.
You have been brought on as a human resource consultant who has been charged with analyzing this situation and providing advice and recommendations to increase Mary's chance of a successful assignment. You have worked in international human resources and have been asked to offer advice and insights for Mary as she takes on this assignment. Your role is to analyze this scenario, consider a number of specific questions, and present your findings to Mary.
Ian Lee - Owner of Didgeridoo
I think I am doing just fine with my sticky note system of keeping track of where my inventory is, but my mom's always complaining that The Didgeridoo (pronounced DID-ger-i-doo) is not a real job. Maybe if I installed an information system she would take my business seriously.
Mary Wright - HR Consultant
I'm really excited about this Dubai opportunity! I've never been there, but am really looking forward to the chance to apply my experience and build a strategic partnership, not just in Dubai, but other areas too. I know that you have worked in human resources and have taken on international assignments with organizations you have worked for. I'm really looking forward to any advice and insights you may have about how to make my assignment as successful as possible.
Your Role Your role is to analyze this scenario and present your findings by responding to five of the following set of 10 questions.
Create a two- to three-page paper analyzing five of the 10 questions listed below:
1. What challenges will Mary face when starting her new role in Dubai, considering the fact that she has never visited this country before?
2. What country and business barriers will Mary be faced with when adapting and introducing her management style in her new post?
3. What impact will culture, mandated legal regulations, religion, politics, demographics, language, and economic stability have on Mary's IHRM strategic development plan and approach in a new country like Dubai?
4. What programs can Mary introduce to attract, recruit, retain, and select qualified global talent in Dubai?
5. What are the professional competencies necessary for a global leader like Mary seeking to work in a foreign country like Dubai and other regions?
6. What training and development tools will be necessary to ensure the success and adaptation of this new assignment prior to leaving the U.S.A. and while being assigned in Dubai?
7. What performance management standards are required to ensure that this new assignment as a VP of HR meets both the IHRM and business expectations to transform and lead the organization vision into the future?
8. Describe what type of global model you would recommend to create a cohesive culture in which your foreign counterparts and employees feel valued, empowered, and a sense of ownership in Dubai and other regions.
9. What competency-based programs and internal opportunities (promotions) can you introduce to ensure that women are promoted to key management positions within an organizational environment that has been dominated by men?
10. Identify and describe what compensation and benefits package can be developed for an expatriate being assigned to a foreign post, such as Dubai.