Images as Primary Sources
Like all primary sources, images need to be carefully read and interpreted. You may not be able to give exact answers, but you should still try. Here's the procedure I recommend you follow as you study the image:
1. Source. Develop a basic description. What do you see?
2. Observe. Does anything about this image immediately jump out at you? If so, what?
3. Contextualize. Do you see anything that reminds you of something you've seen before or learned in class? If so, what? Can you hypothesize (guess) anything about this image just by looking at it?
4. Corroborate. What questions do you still have about this image?
In essay format, answer the following questions:
1. On the far right of the image is a character named "Brother Jonathan." Does he remind you of any other emblems or characters associated with American history? If so, who?
2. All the figures on the left of the image are dressed as Catholic clergy. What are they saying and doing in this image? How does that relate to larger events and debates in America in 1819?
3. Why is there a youth labeled "Young America" in this image? Who do you think he represents? Why?
4. If you had been reading a newspaper in 1819 and came across this image, what would you have thought about it? Why? Again, be as specific as possible. The more specific you are the higher grade you will earn
Format and Requirements
This assignment should be at least 1 page single-spaced or two pages double-spaced in length.
Make sure the document has been proof-read for errors, and that it contains your name in the upper right-hand corner. It should be in font no larger than 12 point. Please write in complete sentences and follow standard grammatical rules.
Make sure the document is in Word format before uploading.
You may divide this assignment into two paragraphs, one for each section, if you like. Otherwise the whole assignment can be one paragraph. Use whichever approach makes the most sense to you.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.