Homework: Describe Your Community
Up to this point in the course, students have begun to explore the community with which they self-identify and actively subscribe to as well as participate in. This homework is meant to clarify what those shared and valued characteristics are in narrative and graphic form. Specific attention will be paid to the appropriate application of key concepts in the course important for understanding social determinants of health in the student's community.
It is expected that the completed homework will have both written and visual components. In a creative manner, each student should reflect upon and convey the following information about the community in which s/he feels s/he belongs. It should be clear that the student is incorporating key topics and ideas from the readings to date.
Write an essay about 3 to 4 pages to describe your community
1. What type of community does do you belong?
2. What are its key shared values, beliefs, behaviors, and worldviews? How are community
norms defined? How does dimensions of the your personal identity overlap with those that are common to and exhibited by other community members? How does the student actively engage in community activities defined and prioritized by the community?
3. What are some important assets and resources of the community? What types of assets are they? How do these assets support and advance community interests?
4. What are some common concerns? Are there more that of higher priority than others? Why? How do these concerns relate to the community's health?
5. What are the social and geographic boundaries of the community? How are they defined and by who? There should be specific details provided.
6. Who are community leaders? Why are they considered leaders? How did those individuals assume such a position in the community? Examples should be provided.
7. What types of stakeholders exist for the community? What capacities and contributions do they bring to the community? How have they contributed to community sustainability and empowerment?
Format your homework according to the give formatting requirements:
1. The answer must be double spaced, typed, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the homework, the course title, the student's name, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The references and Citations should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.