A couple that met at a Cystic Fibrosis Society support group is contemplating having children. They both had brothers who developed cystic fibrosis and they are concerned about the likelihood of having sons who have the disease. As a counselor, you are to answer the following two genetic counseling consult questions in addition to the five critical thinking questions that are listed below.
Genetic Counseling Consult Questions (To Answer)
• What is the likelihood that any of their children (sons and/or daughters) will be born with the disorder?
• What is the likelihood that any of their children (sons and/or daughters) will be carriers of the disorder?
Critical Thinking Questions (To Answer)
1. What are the main presenting issues? Include why they may have arisen. (Note-in this case, you are to assume that they have a child who presents with cystic fibrosis.)
2. Identify and use at least one website that you used to learn more about the issues and potential solutions; briefly explain what was found at the website(s).
3. What is (are) the potential disease or disorder? Include (a) a justification for your decision, (b) the causal agent, and (c) the mode of transmission.
4. What is the recommended treatment for the most likely disease or disorder you identified?
5. What is the prognosis for the disease or disorder (a) without treatment and (b) with treatment?