The Experiential Learning Fairs for February 2nd and April 12th are CLOSED.
Select the one of the five, "Alternative" options listed below. See:1/2 or 2/2 to complete this assignment. Type use MLA format, Times New Roman 12 font, and double space. (*If you included an interview in your Career Research Essay, you may use it to satisfy this assignment).
1. Job shadowing & reflection
2. Interview with someone in the field & reflection
3. Attend a Career Fair & reflection
4. Career Mentor with 3 visits & reflection
5. 20 volunteer hours in your chosen field & reflection
Experiential Learning: Job Shadow, Interview, or
Career Mentor Activity Questions
Directions: Identify an occupation or industry you would like to learn more about. Interview, job shadow, or meet with a possible career mentor in your career field of choice. In detail, summarize their answers to each question below. You do not have to write their responses word for word.
Then write a 3 to 4 page double spaced paper summarizing their responses and what you have learned.
1. How would you explain your experience in your current job? Can you describe a typical day at work?
2. How did you become interested in this field and how did you get started?
3. What do you like best about your job? What are some of the challenges you face in this position?
4. What are the education and training requirements for this job? What are some of the chnology skills needed for your position?
5. What type of personality is needed for this position? From your personal experience in the field, what attributes do you think are essential for career success?
6. What are the opportunities for advancement for this job/ career field?
7. Are there any internships available in this career field? Are you or do you know anyone who is hiring for an internship position?
8. What is the salary range for this position?
9. From an internal perspective, what do you think the projected growth is for this position within the next five years?
10. What professional organizations do you recommend I join as a student? Are there any books or journals that you recommend I read for professional and/or personal growth?
11. Student Choice Question
Experiential Learning Job Shadow Reflection:
Directions: Provide detailed responses to the following questions and write a 3 to 4 paged double-spaced paper addressing the questions above and the questions below.
1. What is the purpose of a job shadow interview, and how can it help you with your future career goals?
2. What new information did you learn about the industry or career field you chose and how will it change your academic goals and career plans in the future?
3. What are some of the personal and professional qualities or attributes you learned about the person you interviewed?
4. How do you plan to apply what you learned from the job shadow interview in the near future?
Experiential Learning Activity Reflection Questions
Directions: Provide detailed responses to each of the following questions in a 3 to 4 page, double-spaced paper.
5. Describe in detail the experiential learning activity in which you chose to participate.
6. How can you relate your experiential learning experience to real-world experiences you might face in the future?
7. What new information did you learn from participating in the experiential learning activity and how might this information influence your academic and career goals in the future?
8. Discuss at least three ways you can connect your personal learning experience to the course work in class.
9. List and discuss at least three professional skills you gained by participating in this activity. How can you apply these skills on a job?
10. What would you change about the experiential learning activity you chose? How would you work to make the learning experience better?
11. What resources did you gain by participating in the experiential learning activity?
12. How do plan to apply what you learned from the experiential learning activity to your life personally and professionally in the future?
13. Create your own question and answer related to the experiential learning experience you selected.