Though colonialism may have officially ended, the effects of colonialism are still very much present today. This is true in modern-day Africa.
Review the following resources for additional information on the slave trade in Africa:
• Origins of African Slaves: Slave Trade Routes
• Lasting Effects of Slavery on Africa
• African Countries and Independence Dates
Select 1 of the following countries from which the most slaves originated:
• Democratic Republic of the Congo
• Ivory Coast
Use template to complete your paper:
• For your selected country, identify the former colonial ruling country.
• Identify your selected country's date of independence from the colonial ruling country, and discuss the length of time the slave trade operated there.
• Discuss how the depopulation and fractured familial relationships inherent in the slave trade have affected your chosen country. Be sure to support your discussion with relevant examples.
o Are these effects still felt today? If so, how? Provide examples.
• Based on your review of this information, what conclusions can you draw about the slave trade and its effects on your selected country?
• Based on your key findings and conclusions, what recommendations do you have to help improve the conditions in the country now? Make sure your recommendations:
o include specific interventions or strategies to address the issues and constraints identified
o are feasible (politically and operationally)
o are realistic (short- and long-term)
• Utilize at least 2 credible sources to support the arguments presented in the paper. Make sure you cite them appropriately within your paper, and list them in APA format on your Reference page.
• Your paper should be 4-5 pages in length, not counting the Title page and Reference page. In accordance with APA formatting requirements, your paper should include a Title and Reference page, should be double-spaced, and include a running head and page numbers.