Directions: Be sure to save an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four double-spaced pages; refer to the "Assignment Format" page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
After completing this assignment you will be able to:
• Determine the differences between the different disease classifications.
• Understand the differences between signs and symptoms.
• Understand epidemiology.
• Understand the relationship between disease and homeostasis.
Part A: What class of disease do you feel currently poses the largest health threat?
1. Thoroughly describe why you feel this way. Provide two (2) supporting facts.
2. How has the impact of this disease changed in the last 50 years? Provide two (2) supporting facts.
Part B: From that class of diseases, choose one disease and answer the following questions:
a. What causes the disease?
b. What are the signs of the disease?
c. What are the symptoms of the disease?
d. How is it diagnosed?
2. Can the disease be prevented? If so, how?
a. What treatment options are available? Describe two options.
b. What is the prognosis for the patient? Provide one supporting fact.
4. What do epidemiology studies of that disease show? Provide one example.
5. What effect does this disease have on the body's homeostasis? Provide one supporting fact.