Review through the emergency disasters below. Select one of these scenarios and then complete the following steps:
• Scenario No. 1: "Dragon/Volcano Emergency Response"
• Scenario No. 2: "Vaccine Gone Awry Emergency Response"
• Scenario No. 3: "Tornado Scenario"
• Scenario No. 4: "Tropical Cyclone and Flooding"
Imagine you are the director of FEMA using NIMS when this disaster occurs.
• Read the steps you would take to resolve the issue including how you would follow the appropriate protocols, your understanding of the ethical and legal responsibilities involved, as well as the potential limitations. These aspects are outlined in your textbook and required reading.
• Develop a YouTube video that informs the population of what will be done to resolve the issue. Address these elements in your video:
o Describe the nature of the situation.
o Explain what FEMA and others are doing to mitigate the situation.
o Explain what people need to do to stay safe and/or to get help in order to reduce panic.
• Your vocal tone should be one that is meant to reduce panic and provide a solid explanation of the above elements.
• You will present your announcement as a YouTube video. Review the YouTube Webcam Quick-Start Guide for instructions on how to create a YouTube account and YouTube video using your computer's webcam and microphone. Copy and paste the URL to your video within your discussion forum response. If you are unable to create a YouTube video for this discussion, you may use a screencast program. However, you do not need to develop a PowerPoint presentation. This discussion is meant to assess your communication abilities, therefore, the audio portion of the video and/or screencast is essential. If you elect to use the screencast option, you may simply use a picture of yourself reporting the above information in lieu of a PowerPoint.
Questions to think about while formulating your response to the public:
• Emphasize order of operations. What are the issues you will address first?
• Which organization is responsible for what? Where will you allocate your resources?
• How will you delegate responsibility? How will you coordinate with state, local and federal agencies?
• How does communication and information flow?
• How have you prepared for these types of emergencies? How will you respond to these disasters? What will the recovery look like?
• What public health concerns are the results of each of these events?
• Which populations might be most at risk?
• What are some of the long-term health effects of these events?
• What other health concerns may arise from these events?
• What will you say to the people, who are desperately awaiting your direction?
• Include an organizational diagram of the response plan for the disaster including:
o A description of the roles and responsibilities of each organization in the response team
o The flow of communication between these organizations
Scenario Response: Imagine that you are the recipient of the public announcement made by your classmates. In responding to at least two classmates who used a different scenario than you, explain how you would respond and react to your classmates' public announcement. Do you believe your needs were covered in what the FEMA director stated? What would you do or say differently?