The Pueblo Revolt: The following articles give you a great overview of the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. Read through the articles below, and then answer the following questions:
1. Why did the Pueblo people revolt? (As in, why did they need to revolt in general and who/what specifically happened in the late 1670's that actually got the revolt started?
2. Who was Pope'/Po'pay? What was his history and why was he important?
3. How did the revolt go? What was the general sequence of events?
4. How long did the revolts keep the Spanish out?
5. In the long term, were the Spanish successful in conquering/and/or assimilating the pueblo peoples? How or how not?
6. The statue of Po'pay was created by a pueblo artist. What was he trying to get across with the statue?
7. What are your thoughts on the Spanish settlement in the Southwest and Pueblo resistance and resilience?
1. The Pueblo Revolt overview from Native American perspective:
2. The Pueblo Revolt from Library of Congress:
3. The revolt in context: The Pueblo Revolt by Edward Countryman:
4. Popay Statue: http://www.aoc.gov/capitol-hill/national-statuary-hall-collection/popay
5. When you finish, please post your responses on the discussion board.