To begin your course project, make sure to READ over the Course Project Introduction BEFORE you start this assignment. For this assignment you will be writing a 1-2 page professional memo (template linked below) to your company executive staff addressing the following points:
• Name of your company (You are NOT choosing a new company; you MUST use the information in the Course Project Introduction. You are just naming the company with the information from the Course Project Introduction as your guidelines)
• Provide an introduction of the program based on the project overview
• As the program manager, what is your initial assessment of the program?
• What do you believe your first action as the Program may be with this project
• List at least 3 initial concerns with the program
• Memo conclusion
Below is the scenario for the course project assignment. You are assuming the role of the project manager for a company (you select the name) to provide a new product (Backpack with built in refrigerated pouch and radio module) to a customer ( U.S. Army, Ground Forces and Special Operations). Each week you will be presented additional information on the project and will be required to produce a weekly deliverable in support of the project.
The course project is designed to address the course objective as well as incorporate each of the weekly modules objectives. You will be required to submit a final paper on the project addressing all of the objectives described in the project summary.
Your company was recently awarded a delivery contract on a new product (see below). You were newly hired by the company; you will assume the role as the assigned program manager overseeing the design, development, production and delivery of the new product.
The details below provide a summary to the course project:
• Company type (name your company): A small defense contractor located in the United States of America
• Company size (employees): 100
• Product: Backpack with built in refrigerated pouch and radio module
• Awarded quantity: 200 units (100 assigned to Ground Forces / 100 assigned to Special Operations)
• Program Budget: Proposed award: $1,500,000
• Customer: U.S. Army, Ground Forces and Special Operations
• Award date: September 1, 2015
• Completion date: March 1, 2017
• Delivery schedule: 100 units 12mths ARO (after receipt of order). 50 units every 3 months after first delivery
• Milestone Schedule:
o First delivery: September 1, 2016
o Second delivery: December 1, 2016
o Last delivery: March 1, 2017
o First milestone payment (from customer): October 30, 2015
o Second Milestone payment: January 30, 2017
o Final Milestone payment: May 30, 2017
o Initial Program review (at the customer's site): November 16, 2015
o Subsequent Program reviews: 6 months after the initial review
Expected Result from Senior Management:
• On-time delivery for the three stated product deliverables
• Desire to complete the total program under the stated budget of $1,500,000
• All milestones accomplished by due dates listed