Assignment: Women And Religion Paper
Topic: Choose ONE ISSUE covered in the course and compare how it relates to TWO RELIGIONS of your choice.
An "ISSUE" may consist of one of the following themes or it may be a combination of two or three related themes:
The gender of God
Gods and Goddesses
Incarnation and gender
Reincarnation and gender
Founders' attitudes to women
Adam and Eve
Women as sexual temptresses
Celibacy and/or Marriage
Motherhood and Fertility
Preference for sons
Women's ordination/ prayer Leadership roles
Women as models of holiness
Women as spiritual teachers
Clothing and women
Other themes may also be chosen but please contact the lecturer beforehand to ensure that they are relevant.
The essay is due at 9am Monday 15 April. A penalty of 5% per day will apply for late submission (10% for a weekend) up to a maximum of 50%.
Your essay should be single spaced with the UNSW Law Cover Sheet (see page 12) attached.
It should be clearly structured with an introduction and conclusion. Subtitles may be used. The essay should :
1. provide a brief description of the issue in both religions and
2. explicitly identify various similarities and differences between the two religions on the issue.
It should also contain a complete bibliography (= list of sources) of all sources actually cited, and an appropriate referencing system of your choice. Sources can include books, articles and appropriate websites. A standard bibliography for this essay would have at least five sources. You should not include scriptural books in your bibliography.
When quoting scriptures, simply provide the book, chapter and verse (eg Quran 5:43; Genesis: 1:17-24; Matthew 17:2-6; Laws of Manu 9:55). There is no need to reference the lecture material but if this mentions a scriptural passage or other work then you should reference that.
The word count includes text, references, tables and appendices but does not include the bibliography. A 10% variation on the 2000-word limit either way is acceptable.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.