The purpose of this project is for you to demonstrate an understanding about how business motivate employees.
Outcomes Met With This Project:
• identify the critical business functions and how they interact in order to position the organization to be effective in the current business environment
• explain the importance of the integration of individuals and systems to organizational effectiveness
You are also completing this project to help you develop the skills of critical thinking, writing and developing a personal brand. Writing is a critical skill because in business it is important to convey information clearly and concisely and to develop a personal brand. Developing a personal brand is important because it is the ongoing process of establishing an image or impression in the minds of others especially those in positions above you. Having a strong personal brand can lead to opportunities that include promotions.
Read the following case scenario and answer the questions that follow:
Wegmans Food Market, Inc. is a family-owned business started in 1916 in Rochester, New York by Walter and John Wegman. Wegmans is a regional supermarket chain with major stores in New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Virginia, New Jersey, North Carolina, Washington, D.C. and Maryland. With a total of 127 locations, Wegmans employs approximately 48,000 employees and has annual sales of $8.7 billion. The company is led by Colleen Wegman, president and CEO, Danny Wegman, chairman, and Nicole Wegman, senior vice-president.
Wegmans is a mission-driven, values-based company. Its mission statement is "Helping families live healthier, better lives through food. Our commitment to you is simple: Every Day You Get Our Best. Our customers tell us they choose Wegmans for the helpful people in our stores, help with delicious means from our chefs, and the freshest ingredients possible." Company values are important to Wegmans. Values focus on the well-being and success of every person with high standards as a way of life. Wegmans strives to make a difference in every community it serves, and employees are respected and listened to, and empowered to make decisions that improve their work and benefit customers and the company.
Company benefits include 86% company-paid health coverage for full-time employees in a single coverage PPO plan, 100% company-paid health coverage for full-time employee dependents, 86% company-paid health coverage for part-time employees, an average salary of approximately $37,000 plus cash compensation for Store full-time customer service employees and an average of $68,500 salary plus cash compensation for Store department managers. In addition, employees who work at least 30 hours a week are eligible to receive health insurance.
Wegmans is a place that people want to work. Ninety-seven percent of employees stated they feel good about the ways they contribute to the community, 96% of employees indicated the facilities contribute to a good working environment, 95% of employees stated that they are given the resources and equipment to do their jobs, 94% of employees stated management is honest and ethical in its business practices, and 94% employees stated they were proud to tell others that they work at Wegmans. In addition, employees rating for great challenges was 97%, great atmosphere was 97%, great rewards was 96%, great pride was 97%, great communication was 97% and great bosses was 96%.
In operating the business, the Wegman family has built a strong family culture by living the stated values and putting its people first through offering career development, pay, benefits, and support that goes beyond industry averages. Overall, employees love what they do to create an exciting work environment that builds trusting relationships and feels like family. Employees are empowered to invest in programs such as Open Door Days, Huddles, and focus groups that help to put employees' ideas into action and drive process improvement.
Wegmans has implemented flexible scheduling as a way to create work/life balance and promotes learning opportunities that allow employees to grow within the company. More than $50,000 is invested each year in the training and development of employees. The investment offers employees access to department universities, workshops, online learning, on-the-job learning, cooking classes, food rallies, and talent development programs such as internships, management trainee and leadership development programs.
Wegmans offers its employees additional benefits such as community discounts, movies, theme parks, and gym memberships. Store employees have access to digital coupons for employee-only offers and in-store beverage discounts. Employees with newborns are provided the benefit of three months of discounts, prepared food discounts and free wipes and diapers.
Employees have access to wellness programs such as Weight Watchers, ‘get moving' events, and food/nutritional programs as well as Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) and financial services such as legal assistance and an annual certified financial planning consultation. Employees also have access to scholarship programs and internships, and Wegmans supplements culinary and hospitality program.
Furthermore, employees raise millions of dollars a year participating in company-sponsored programs for hunger relief and food distribution from Wegmans stores to local food banks. The efforts of Wegmans and its employees lead the industry in sustainability efforts.
You will use the following steps to complete this project. Make sure to complete each step to ensure the highest possible grade. Note that you are using the case scenario facts and the course material. External sources are not permitted.
Step 1: Write an Introduction paragraph
The Introduction paragraph is the first paragraph of the paper and will be used to describe to the reader the intent of the paper explaining the main points covered in the paper. This intent should be understood prior to reading the remainder of the paper so the reader knows exactly what is being covered in the paper.
Step 2: Motivational Theories
You learned about different motivational theories from the course material and how each is applied in the workplace. Using the course material to support your ideas and reasoning:
• Differentiate between need-based theory of motivation and process-based theory of motivation.
• Select two need-based theories. Then, explain how Wegmans motivates its employees using each of the two theories. (You should have two different explanations; one for each need-based theory).
• Select two process-based theories. Then, explain how Wegmans motivates its employee. (You will have two different explanations; one for each process-based theory).
• Explain how Wegmans uses job design and job characteristics theory to motivate employees.
• Explain how and why Wegmans uses orientation, training programs and other programs.
Step 3: Conclusion
Write a concluding paragraph that is brief and summarizes the main points. Provide specific information related to the major topics discussed in the paper.
Step 4: Review the Paper
Read the paper to ensure all required elements are present. In conjunction with these instructions, use the grading rubric to ensure that you gain the most points possible for this assignment.
Proofread the paper for spelling and grammatical issues, and third person writing.
• Read the paper aloud as a first measure;
• Use the spell and grammar check in Word as a second measure;
• Consider submitting the paper to the Effective Writing Center (EWC). The EWC will provide 4-6 areas that may need improvement.
Step 5: Submit the paper in the Assignment Folder (The assignment submitted to the Assignment Folder will be considered the student's final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the assignment is the correct submission. No exceptions will be considered by the instructor).
How to Set Up the Paper
Create a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) document that is double-spaced, 12-point font. The final product will be between 2 - 3 pages in length excluding the title page and reference page. Write clearly and concisely.
Completing the Paper
In order to complete this project, you will want to first read the module, Learn How to Support What You Write, as this assignment requires you to use the course readings and research to support what you write. Also,
• Read and use the grading rubric while completing the exercise to ensure all requirements are met that will lead to the highest possible grade.
• Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as "I, me, my, we, or us" (first person writing), nor is there use of "you or your" (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person.
• Contractions are not used in business writing, so do not use them.
• Paraphrase and do not use direct quotation marks. Paraphrase means you do not use more than four consecutive words from a source document. Instead put a passage from a source document into your own words and attribute the passage to the source document. Not using direct quotation marks means that there should be no passages with quotation marks and instead the source material is paraphrased as stated above. Note that a reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. You may not use more than four consecutive words from a source document, as doing so would require direct quotation marks. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
• You are expected to use the case scenarios and weekly course material to develop the analysis and support the reasoning. There should be a robust use of the course material along with thorough analysis of potential location information. Material used from a source document must be cited and referenced. A reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
• Use in-text citations and provide a reference list that contains the reference associated with each in-text citation.
• The only book you may use is the course eBook. This project only allows you to use the course material. You may not use any external sources including a dictionary or Wikipedia.
• Provide the page or paragraph number in every in-text citation presented. If the eBook does not have pages, provide the chapter title and topic heading.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.