Assignment: Virtual Private Networks- SSL/TLS VPN Technologies
The purpose of this assignment is to review existing literatures on important VPN technologies and issues and write a report. The report must be specific to the given topics, use appropriate examples and detail of the topic given to develop a review paper. In preparing the assignment, students should acquire not only the knowledge of current technical aspects of VPN but also research, data collection, analysis and writing skills. Students should be able to demonstrate their achievements in the following unit learning outcomes:
a. Explain the significance of VPN for contemporary organisations
b. Discuss the role of VPN to support the security of businesses.
Length: 1800 words.
Objective: Your tasks are to analyse and to write a report about the processes and the security technologies being used when you access any website (which uses HTTPS) online via a web browser. It is a well-known fact that the Internet is a public network and every single message you exchange with the server can potentially be intercepted by attackers. You need to analyse in detail what technologies and techniques are used to prevent attackers from modifying the communication between you and web server and what keeps your passwords and other details safe.
A. You need to explain the significance of VPN for contemporary organisations. This should include a comparison of SSL/VPN and IPSEC/VPN
b. Discuss the role of VPN to support the security of businesses, and describe the advantages of SSL/VPN over IPSEC/VPN
You are also required to address the following topics and task in details in relation to SSL/VPN in your report:
Authentication and Access Control
1. Analyse and write report on how the browser ensures that it is communicating to the right server. Please visit a website and add screenshots also highlighting the related part. How SSL and TLS provide authentication?
2. Describe how digital signatures work and what is role in authentication process, add the relevant screenshot from your web browser showing the details of signature. What happens during certificate verification?
3. Analyse and write report on how the server make sure that it is communicating to the right client, discuss several methods; e.g. if you are using MIT Moodle, how the server verifies that it's actually YOU?
4. Explain the centralized access control for a variety of organizational resources and how SSL/VPN help in this regards.
5. Describe the Network access control for SSL/VPN.
Confidentiality and Integrity
1. Analyse and write a report on how the confidentiality and integrity is achieved in SSL communication, and how server & client agree on one cipher suit?
2. Explain what the role of symmetric encryption and hash algorithms in SSL communication is. Add take screenshots from your browser showing symmetric encryption and hash details.
3. Describe the VPN client software options
4. Describe the VPN client OS support
5. Describe the Support for simultaneous users at VPN
1. Analyse and write a report on how the anti-replay attacks are mitigated in SSL communication.
2. How to protect your organization against SSL attacks?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.