Instructions: A major skill that is learned in this course is how to critically read and appraise nursing research articles. The purpose for appraising an article is to evaluate the research process followed by the author(s) of the assigned article. This information-intensive, time-intensive process is not learned overnight. To demonstrate your skill at appraising an article, you will complete this open-book short answer assignment.
Here's how you should approach completing this assignment to begin appraising an article:
1. First, do your assigned reading in Gray, Grove, & Sutherland (2017). This will introduce you to the skills you will need for the week.
2. Skim the entire instructor assigned research article that has been posted on Blackboard for you so that you will have an idea of what it is about. Then, for this week, re-read carefully the introduction / literature review /theoretical framework and methods sections of the article again.
3. Print the Research Article Appraisal, Part One Assignment and find the best answer to each question based on your Gray, Grove, & Sutherland (2017) assigned reading and on what you have read in the instructor assigned research article.
4. Some of the questions in the appraisal assignment below will seem unfamiliar to you. Look up key terms from the question in your textbook. Some examples of these terms might be: problem statements, hypotheses, or variables. You can also look in Chapter 18 for an example of a critical appraisal (or critique) of a quantitative research article.
5. Download the Assignment so you can type in your answers. Once completed, upload your Assignment to the assignment link above by the time and date listed on the Course Schedule. Be thoughtful and review the information that has been given to you to complete this assignment.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.