Assignment: The Gratitude Visit
1. Select one important person from your past who has made a major positive difference in your life and to whom you have never fully expressed your thanks. Do not confound this selection with new-found romantic love or with the possibility of future gain.
2. Write that person a thank you letter just long enough to cover one page.
3. Schedule a meeting with the receiver of your gratitude letter. Do not tell the person the purpose of the visit/call/Skype in advance; a simple "I just want to see you" or "I just want to talk with you" will suffice.
4. Share the letter with that person either in person, by phone, or via Skype. It is important that you share the letter with that person in a format that will allow you to interact with them. Read the letter to that person. Do not just hand it to them!
5. Let the recipient of your letter react unhurriedly. Reminisce together about the concrete events that make this person so important to you.
6. After your visit, write a description of the experience. Your description should be specific, clear, and discuss the meaningfulness (or non-meaningfulness) of the experience. While you can summarize the relationship that you have with this person, the bulk of your write-up should focus on the impact that this assignment had on YOU.
7. Your write-up should also include a discussion of how this gratitude exercise broadens and builds your psychological capital (PsyCap) as discussed in the Gardner et al. article from Module 1. Describe your feelings of hope, optimism, self-efficacy, and resiliency after doing the exercise.
8. Do any other concepts from the course apply to this assignment? If yes, then discuss which concepts from the course are relevant and why they apply to this assignment.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.