Case - Tricky Nicky
Tips: This is a relatively straight forward assessment of the financial value of the training provided to the carpet cleaners. Questions 1-4 take the student step by step through the assessment. Question 5 gets the students to focus on the factors that affect performance, other than KSA deficiencies.
1. How much does the re-cleaning cost Nicky per year? Show all mathematical calculations.
2. If everyone is trained, how much will the training cost? How much will it cost if only the group with the most errors is trained? Show all mathematical calculations.
3. If everyone is trained, what is the cost savings for the first year? If only the group with the highest recleaning requirements is trained, what is the cost savings? Show all mathematical calculations.
4. What is your recommendation based on the expected return on investment? Should both groups be trained or just the group with the 2/9 recleaning ratio? Provide a rationale that includes both financial and other factors. Show any mathematical calculations.
5. Let's back up and assume we're still at the needs analysis stage. Assume that employees had the KSAs needed to clean the offices effectively. What other factors might you look at as potential causes of the recleaning problem?