Measuring Quality in a Health Care Organization
In this activity, you will apply what you have learned about quality management and objective measurement in your readings and discussion to a case study.
Read the following:
Simon, R., & Canacari, E. (2012).A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO APPLYING LEAN TOOLS AND MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES TO HEALTH CARE IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS.AORN Journal, 95(1), 85-103 19p.
In this assignment, you will use LEAN principles as described in the article and critically evaluate strategies involved in the decisions you have made.
Read the case study below and answer your questions thoroughly and completely. Your paper should be 2-4 pages long, excluding reference page.
Raymond, a 78-year old man living in a motel, is found lying on the floor of his room, semi-conscious, by a housekeeper. The motel manager calls 9-1-1, and Raymond is taken to the closest emergency department. There, he lies on a gurney in the hallway for 6 hours before he is examined by a physician. Because it is unclear what is wrong with him, and he cannot speak coherently, the physician admits him to the hospital for observation. Later, when it is determined that Raymond had a stroke, he is discharged to an inpatient rehabilitation facility on the same medical campus as your hospital. The rehabilitation facility had no knowledge of his medical history, including his current medications for hypertension and high cholesterol. Raymond died there several weeks later.
1. As a manager at the hospital profiled in the case study, identify one (1) area for improvement that can be gleaned from Raymond's health care experience at your 200-bed community hospital and the affiliated rehabilitation facility.
2. Develop a SCOPE STATEMENT[DOCX, File Size 17.4 KB] describing the area for improvement (see the example on page 6 of the article). Be sure to include the following components and briefly explain each:
1 background justification;
2 quantifiable goals;
3 a target completion date;
4 suggested approach;
5 membership including the sponsor, leader, facilitator, core members who are expected to attend every team meeting, extended members who are brought onto the team as needed; and
6 macro-flow, which is a simplified, process- flow diagram of the current state, typically consisting of about six steps
3. Recommend a solution to the identified problem, be sure that your solution is feasible.
4. In 1-2 paragraphs, critically evaluate the plan. How did you address the cost-benefit-quality balance? Are there any possible consequences to your plan? If so, what?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.