4 to 5 page excluding references and title page
Read the case of Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S. ____(2015), and write a 4 to 5 page paper addressing the following:
- Summarize the plaintiffs' arguments that their substantive due process had been violated.
- Summarize the plaintiffs' argument that their rights to equal protection under the law had been violated.
- Explain the Court's ruling and any prior U.S. Supreme Court cases that may have laid the foundation for this case.
- Explain what societal changes influenced the Court's decisions from the time of the 1986 Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186 (1986) case, in which the Court upheld a Georgia statute that criminalized homosexual sex, to Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003), that overruled Bowers, to the 2015 Obergefell case that recognized same-sex marriage.
- Summarize why the dissenting justices disagreed with the majority opinion in Obergefell.
- Do you agree with the majority opinion or the dissenting justices? Explain why.
Oyez. (n.d.). Bowers v. Hardwick.
Oyez. (n.d.). Lawrence v. Texas.
Oyez. (n.d.). Obergefell v. Hodges.