Assignment: The American Revolution: Why Did The Colonies Revolt?
By the end of this session, students will be able to:
• Explain the ways in which the French and Indian War (Seven Years' War) affected the relationship between Britain and her American colonies.
• Explain why British efforts to consolidate its empire after 1763 aroused so much opposition in the colonies.
• Describe the evolution of political thought and tactics among Americans who opposed British policies.
• Explain the significance of the First Continental Congress and the final collapse of royal authority in the colonies.
• Explain the popularity and importance of Common Sense.
Read Chapter 5 in America: Past and Present by Robert Divine and view the chapter 5 Power Point.
Helpful Web sites:
A. Read Chapter 5 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and answer the following questions.
1. What was the relationship between England's internal political problems, and the loss of its colonial empire in America?
2. Compare the American and English perceptions of the role of the colonies in the empire.
3. Could the relationship between England and her American colonies have been saved?
4. Compare the British and American colonies' strategy for the Revolutionary War.
5. If you were a Massachusetts' farmer, who would you side with? Why?
B. Read the hyperlinked article and respond to one of the questions.
Sons of Liberty: Patriots or Terrorists?
-Where the Sons of Liberty patriots or a mob? Explain.
C. Political Cartoon:
This cartoon represents the internal division during years prior to the outbreak of war between Great Britain and her American colonies. John Adams once wrote that the colonies could be broken-up into thirds; 1/3 were patriot, 1/3 were neutral, and 1/3 were loyal to the Crown.
What is the message of this political cartoon?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.