Assignment: Natural Language Processing (NLP) And The EMR
The traditional mechanism by which data is entered into an EMR is by way of forms. Data entry is both time-consuming and its accuracy is human dependent. HIS Applications such as those used in medical transcription capture massive amounts of data. The content of its output are stored within the EMR as simple text files that are usually not entered into the EMR individually.
To prepare for this application, research the Internet for information on NLP solutions for HIS Applications.
Construct a 2-page Word document written in APA style in which you:
• Explain the mechanics of NLP within an HIS Application.
• Describe how NLP could be used to parse text fields used in an EMR and then populate tables within a database.
• Determine some of the important cost factors that are affected by use of a well-designed NLP application in an HIS application compared to a manual data entry.
• Identify how you would conduct a cost/benefit analysis to determine whether the use of NLP within an HIS Application is worthwhile.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.