This is a take-home, open-book exam consisting of essay questions. Please note the following instructions:
• You are only required to answer FOUR of the essay questions listed below
• Each essay should be roughly 2 to 3 paragraphs in length. This however, is only a guideline, as I grade on content, rather than length
• Essays should be double spaced with 12in fonts and 1in page margins
• All sources must be cited and formatted based on your choice of MLA, APA, or Chicago formats
• All submissions will be processed through D2L's plagiarism detection software
1. Explain the division of responsibilities between federal and state levels in regards to standardized testing under No Child Left Behind (NCLB). What are some potential problems with this system?
2. Identify and explain at least two significant differences between Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF). Why is TANF considered to be better for states?
3. Explain the difference between direct and indirect subsidies. Identify and explain at least two ways that states might use subsidies (either direct or indirect) as a means of promoting economic development.
4. Explain the general characteristics of the spoils system and merit system of public employment. What are some potential problems with merit-based systems of hiring and promoting public employees?
5. Explain the significance of Federal drug sentencing laws (e.g. the Sentencing Act of 1984) for contemporary issues of high incarceration rates. Identify and explain at least two examples of criminal justice reforms (at the state or federal level) intended to deal with this issue.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.