Assignment: Depression and Chronic and Autoimmune Diseases
Focusing on the brighter side of life, while not bad advice, does not account for the numerous biochemical malfunctions that prevent those with depression from doing just that. The impact of depression extends beyond disrupting work and personal relationships. It also can influence the development of a whole bounty of serious illnesses. Stress, depression, and the persistent immune response of inflammation can influence the development of chronic and autoimmune illnesses that permanently alter the direction of a person's life. With stakes as high as these, the manner in which stress and depression manifests in the body to impact the immune system cannot be underestimated.
For this Application Assignment, review this week's Learning Resources including the Chronic Disease and Autoimmune Disease sections of the "Stress, The Immune System, Chronic Illness, and Your Body" handout attached. Then select an illness that has a high co-occurrence with depression. Finally, consider teaching strategies that may reduce the effects of the stress related-illness.
The Assignment (3 pages APA-formatted essay)
• Describe the connection between depression and the illness you selected and explain the factors of the disease you selected that account for its high co-occurrence with depression.
• Explain the role of stress hormones and inflammation in this depression related illness
• Explain at least three teaching strategies that might reduce the effects of the stress related-illness you select.
• Explain the methods you might use to encourage the adoption these strategies to reduce the effects of the stress related-illness.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.