Term Project Assignment: Sports Nutrition
Choose any sport (team or individual)
Include and explain primary energy systems used for your sport
Create an athlete (you can use yourself if you'd like)
Sex, age, height, weight and percent body fat
Create a nutrition plan for your athlete to get him/her through one day of practice/training and one day of competition. This should be comprehensive enough that you could use it and justify it to a skeptical athlete. Include all of the following and provide justifications;
• Pre-training meals (up to 4 hours prior if applicable), meals during training/competition (if any), post-training/competition meals (up to 4 hours post).
• The plan should include overall percents of fat, carbohydrate and protein and total calories your athlete is consuming per day.
• The nutrition plan should include what specific foods your athlete is consuming (also include a breakdown carbohydrates and proteins by grams/kg body weight) for each meal. Do not use the meals provided in the text!
• The nutrition plan should include what time each meal is consumed and what time(s) and duration training/competition is occurring.
• The nutrition plan should include a very specific hydration plan (when and what type of liquids are being consumed) based on body weight lost or gained during exercise and pre- or post-exercise needs.
• The nutrition plan should account for any special needs of your athlete in terms of nutrition (for example, over or under weight, are they competing in weight classes, are their hydration requirements unique due to duration of training or aquatic training, is their a tendency for anemia from menstrual losses etc...)
You will be assessed based on the following criteria:
• Completeness of project and justifications
• Quality of information (I'll especially look at timing and composition of meals/hydration and foods suggested)
• Identifying and accounting for "special needs"
• Do the types of foods consumed make sense (for example, you do not want a stomach full of complex carbohydrates prior to training/competition etc...)
I suggested you start working by referring to your book and ACSM guidelines (position stands) which are available at ACSM.ORG.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.