Quiz Your Classmates
Discuss three important concepts related to teaching ELLs to read, and strategies for helping ELLs understand and practice language and content information (scaffolding in Chapter 6). In this discussion post, first read Chapters 6 and 7, do some additional research on the term that you chose, and then complete each of the tasks below.
1. In your own words, summarize one of the following main ideas from the readings:
2. *Phonemic awareness
Be sure to include descriptions, definitions, comparisons or any other information that will help a first-time reader have a working understanding of the topic you choose to summarize an include a reference list for any scholarly sources that you use for definition and questions.
Create five questions about the topic you chose. Summarize and list the questions in an organized fashion so that your classmates can
Read from your text, Language, learning, and culture: English language learning in today's schools:
• Chapter 6: Learn to Read, Read to Learn
• This chapter explains the reading process and describes strategies for scaffolding ELL's development of literacy.
• Chapter 7: Content-Area Teaching
• This chapter presents the Common Core Standards, and discusses how to teach the content areas of science, social studies, and math to ELLs, as well as how to use art to teach English.
Book: Piper, T. (2015). Language, learning, and culture: English language learning in today's schools. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.