Module- SLP Assignment: CULTURAL ADAPTABILITY
SLP Background: In this module, you will continue to explore different aspects of the culture that you selected in Module 1. As evidence of your progress, you will submit a paper addressing the constructs of Purnell's model that are listed below. Subheadings should be used to address each requirement of the paper.
1. Discuss the Nutrition construct of Purnell's model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs listed below:
o Meaning of food
o Common foods
o Health Promotion
2. Discuss the High-Risk behaviors construct of Purnell's model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs listed below:
o Recreational drugs
o Physical activity
3. Discuss the Death Rituals construct of Purnell's model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs listed below:
o Death Rituals
4. Discuss the Spirituality construct of Purnell's model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs listed below:
o Religious practices
o Use of prayer
o Meaning of life
o Individual strength
o Spirituality and health
SLP Assignment Expectations
Use information from your module readings/articles as well as appropriate research to support your selection.
Length: The SLP assignment should be 4-7 pages long (double-spaced).
References: At least three references must be included from academic sources (peer-reviewed journal articles). Required reading is included. Quoted materials should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is critical thinking). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others. Materials copied verbatim from external sources must be enclosed in quotation marks. In-text citations are required as well as a list of references at the end of the assignment. (APA format is recommended.)
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
• Achievement of learning outcomes for SLP assignment.
• Relevance - All content is connected to the question.
• Precision - Specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate.
• Depth of discussion - Points that lead to deeper issues are presented and integrated.
• Breadth - Multiple perspectives and references, and multiple issues/factors are considered.
• Evidence - Points are well supported with facts, statistics, and references.
• Logic - Discussion makes sense; conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information.
• Clarity - Writing is concise and easy to understand, and contains sufficient detail or examples.
• Objectivity - Avoids the use of first person and subjective bias.
Purnell Model of Cultural Competence
Your response should be based on reliable and scholarly material, such as peer-reviewed articles, white papers, technical papers, etc. Do not include information from non-scholarly materials such as Wikis, encyclopedias, www.freearticles.com (or similar websites).