Assignment: Whistleblowing and Sarbanes-Oxley
Use the Internet to research instances of whistleblowing in publicly traded companies within the last 12 months.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Describe the key characteristics of a whistleblower, and briefly summarize one (1) researched instance of whistleblowing in one (1) publicly traded company within the last 12 months. Include the details of the issue that the whistleblower reported and the effect of the whistleblower's actions on both the whistleblower himself and the company.
2. Decide whether or not the whistleblower was justified in reporting the company's actions. Provide a rationale for your response.
3. Examine the extent to which the whistleblower would be protected under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Justify your response.
4. Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Determine the underlying causes for passage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and determine protections afforded to whistleblowers.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance.
- Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.