Leader Interview Questions Name of Leader: ___________________________
1. What is the name of your organization?
2. What is your job title?
3. How long have you worked for this organization?
4. How long have you been in a supervisory/leadership position?
5. How many direct reports do you supervise?
6. Have you ever had any formal leadership training? If yes, please describe the training.
7. How would you describe your personality? (e.g., extraverted, open, conscientious, etc.).
8. What kind of traits or characteristics do you think a good leader needs? (e.g., personality traits, intelligence, emotional intelligence, etc.).
9. Are leaders born or made? Why do you think this way?
10. Do you believe there are barriers for some people who would like to become a leader(i.e., barriers due to age, gender, race, national origin, etc.)? Why or why not?
11. Would you say you have a good relationship with each of your employees? Do you think this is important? Why or why not?
12. Do you treat your employees differently, depending on your relationship with each of them? If yes, how so?
13. How would you describe your leadership style?
14. Do you think leaders need to display different types of leadership styles, depending on the situation? If yes, why?
15. How important do you think it is to keep your employees in a good mood at work?
16. Do you believe in "having fun" at work? Is it important for employees to have fun at work? Why or why not?
17. Do you do anything to try and improve yourself as a leader (e.g., read leadership books, attend training sessions, etc.)? Do you think leaders can improve their own leadership behavior?
18. Are you transparent with your employees (i.e., are you open and honest with them about all of the decisions that you make that affect them)? Do you think transparency is important? Why or why not?
19. Do you think it is important for leaders to focus on developing their employees' abilities and helping them live better lives? Why or why not?
20. Would say that your job as a leader in your organization is a big part of your identity (i.e., when you describe yourself, is your job a part of your self-definition)? Why or why not?
21. Do you think it is important for your employees to identify with your organization? Why or why not?
22. Do you use your position of authority to influence your employees? How important are power and persuasion to leadership?
23. Would you describe yourself as a charismatic leader?
24. Do you think charismatic leaders are the best leaders? Why or why not?
25. Is it important to you to be a good example for your employees to follow? Why or why not?
26. Do you set goals with your employees? Do think setting goals with employees is effective?
27. Describe a situation that you would say exemplifies your leadership style (i.e., a situation where you believe you displayed effective leadership). What was the outcome of the situation?
28. What do you think is the single biggest problem with employees today?
29. Do you trust your employees to do the right thing at work? Is trust important for leadership?
30. How do you handle problem employees?
31. What do you think is the most important issue facing the leaders of today's organizations?
32. Do you believe that leaders are shaped by important events in their life history? Is there a life event that has happened to you that you think has influenced your approach as a leader? If yes, would you mind sharing?
33. What are your biggest strengths as a leader?
34. What are your biggest areas for improvement as a leader?