For this task, you will begin by reviewing the video and readings on the Milgram Obedience Experiments and Asch Conformity studies. Then, you will write an essay in which you analyze the advantages and consequences of using deception in research as applied in these two classic psychological experiments.
1. Using the Milgram Obedience Experiments, evaluate how the study or the findings on obedience to authority might have been different had deception not been used at all.
2. State your thoughts on whether or not studies like Milgram's should be conducted and why. Include in your summary how current APA ethical standards apply to the Milgram's Experiment and the usage of deception in social psychological research in general. Be sure to cite appropriately.
3. Similarly, define and discuss the concept of conformity and the use of deception within the Asch (1956) studies.
4. Evaluate the ethical considerations and how or if this study should be conducted, and if this study could be redesigned today to conform to the current APA ethical standards. If so, how?
Finally, locate a peer-reviewed article published in the last five years that discusses a research study in which compliance was the topic of focus.
5. Based on your analysis of research studies into obedience, conformity and compliance, do you believe these three concepts exist on the same continuum?
6. Explain. Conclude with your assessment of any ethical issues that may arise from studying these issues today?
Support your paper with at least three articles published in peer reviewed journals published in the past five years. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including older articles, may be included.
Length: 5-7 pages
Videos and Article links:
Beacon Solutions Inc. (2015). Milgram obedience experiment.
Films Media Group. (2001). Obedience and ethics: Benefits and costs of psychological conformity studies.
American Psychological Association. (2010). Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct.
McLeod, S. (2008). Asch Experiment.
Kundu, P., & Cummins, D. (2013). Morality and conformity: The Asch paradigm applied to moral decisions. Social Influence, 8(4), 268-279.