C. S. Lewis argues for the existence of a "Tao," which is a body of objective truths (absolutes) common to humankind. However, he also argues that departing from the "Tao" (relativism) has serious consequences for humankind.
Don Menzel, in Ethics Management for Public Administrators, argues that organizations of integrity can be cultivated through ethics management. Can ethics management avoid the consequences described by C. S. Lewis in The Abolition of Man?
Answer the question: "Can cultivating organizations of integrity in practice as proposed by Menzel avoid such consequences?"
If so, provide specific examples from Ethics Management for Public Administrators that would help avoid such consequences. If not, provide examples from Ethics Management for Public Administrators that shows why ethics management will likely not avoid such consequences.
1. Length: 6+ pages plus the Works Cited page. Do not write less than 6 pages.
2. Format: Times New Roman or similar font, 12 pt.; numbered pages; Double spaced; 1" margins;
3. Citation: APA style using the parenthetical method of documentation (MLA acceptable).
Outline: Put your name on the first page; Provide numbered/lettered headings and sub-headings for each section and sub-section of the paper as indicated in the outline, below!
To answer the above question, state Lewis' argument, as well as Geuras&Garofalo's argument, and then make your argument to answer the above question. Be sure to document your paper with supporting references from the works of C. S. Lewis, Geuras and Garofalo, Bittick, etc.
Outline of the paper: [the numbered and lettered headings and sub-headings are below]
- Briefly state the question andstateyour thesis (i.e. thesis statement). (1\2 page)
II. Body (Minimum 5 pages)
A. Accurately describe the argument C. S. Lewis makes for the "Tao," and the consequences in practice of not following it. (1 page)
B. Accurately describe what Menzel means by "organizations of integrity." (1/2 page)
C. Support your thesis statement (i.e. make your case) in light of the "A." and "B," above. Emphasize this section of your paper (minimum 3+ pages).
III. Conclusion.(1\2 page)
IV. Works Cited.
NOTE the following:
- Be sure toreference Don Menzel's book, Ethics Management for Public and Nonprofit Managers, and C. S. Lewis' book, The Abolition of Man.
- Use the APA parenthetical method of documentation. This means you must use the page numbers.
- Only reference Bentham and Mill, Kant, or Aristotle in your exam if it helps support your argument.
- Be rational. This paper is not about feelings or a wish list.