School Prestige vs Academic Standards
School is an institution for educating children to live their own lives in a positive manner utilizing their own minds. It is an institution designed to provide learning environments for teaching of students under the direction of teachers where teachers acts as a facilitator that helps them to think on their own.
Prestige means the quality of how good the reputation of something or someone is, how favorably something or someone is regarded.
School Prestige means self esteemed of schools where schools are making set of rubrics to keep their standards maintained.
Academic Standards of school means the place where students have love or aptitude for learning.
Nowadays, parents are sending their children to a place which have all the facilities not lesser than the five star hotel. Earlier the main focus was on education but now we talk about harmonious development of the child where, academics does not play important role. All children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging. Schools are doing so much efforts for enhancing the learning and education should be Hands -on Minds-on Program. All the sense organs must be involved in teaching .Teaching and Learning go hand in hand both are like two sides of the same coin. Teachers should be updated with recent innovations in topic and methodology. Teacher should not dominate on the students, instead of that she acts like a facilitator which means she guides, help the students instead of imposing ,must take out of child from within. There are some old schools who do not want to change their methodology as they are excelling in academics. School must be aware about the progress of each n every individual and what measures can be taken for upbringing of child. Academic standards must be maintained by taking qualified teachers as well as time to time professional training must be given .Teachers and students are the two pillars of the schools, both can make a school achieve its prestige and must keep in mind that the best school is that which can take care of all types of children of the society whether they are brilliant, gifted, genius, weak, mentally retarded, average , physically or mentally challenged.
This Academic Standards can be accomplished by -
1.Good Quality Education Should be there: Ensuring that high-quality academic assessments, teacher preparation and training, curriculum, and instructional materials are aligned with academic standards so that students, teachers, parents, and administrators can measure progress of students in their result.
(2) Meeting the educational needs: low-achieving children in our Nation's highest-poverty schools, English proficient children, special need based and delinquent children.
(3) Closing the achievement gap between high- and low-performing children: Students must be evaluated on the basis of their own ability. There should not be any comparison.
(4) Check on the Holding schools, local educational agencies, and States accountable for improving the academic achievement of all students, and identifying and turning around low-performing schools that have failed to provide a high-quality education to their students, while providing alternatives to students in such schools to enable the students to receive a high-quality education.
(5) Globalization of teachers :As in a particular area where students are not doing well,so,some resource teacher must be called from any other area. Changing in methodology of teaching may help students a lot in learning.
(6) Improvement for physically and mental challenged section of society :Improving and strengthening accountability, teaching, and learning by using assessment systems designed to ensure that students are meeting challenging academic achievement and content standards and increasing achievement overall, but especially for the disadvantaged;
(7) Providing greater decision making authority and flexibility to schools and teachers in exchange for greater responsibility for student performance;
(8) Providing children an enriched and accelerated educational program, including the use of school wide programs or additional services that increase the amount and quality of instructional time;
(9) Promoting school wide reform and ensuring the access of children to effective, scientifically based instructional strategies and challenging academic content;
(10) Significantly elevating the quality of instruction by providing staff in participating schools with substantial opportunities for professional development.
So, in the end I would like to conclude by saying that academic standards must be maintained and then school will able to maintain its prestige too. As Time is changing so, we must change as per need of society.