A research summary gives a brief synopsis of what the article or report is about. It includes the necessary information that the writer wants to convey to the reader. Writing research summary can be trickery. The report needs to be shortened and at the same time clear and precise. It should contain the gist of the research. At the same time, the writer should captivate the reader and relay the detailed information in a new style. The summary can define as an abstract which highlights the significance of the writing. It requires the student to edit the points into one document, but it should be like the initial research report.
How to Write a Research Summary
The key to writing research summary is that the student should know what the initial research is all about. It can achieve by reading the document. If they have difficulty understanding it, they should take assistance from the lecturer. Then only can they start off with writing the summary? A research summary is a standalone document. Students shouldn't confuse it with abstracts. Research summary works alongside the initial document. It highlights the same points and problems. The research summary is an executive outline. When writing such documents, students should be mindful of the following things:
- Read the original article or report: students should know what is highlighted. They should be aware the gist of the article. While reading, it is incumbent to make notes or points which can be used in the summary writing.
- Introduction: catch the reader's attention in the beginning.It can be done through data or statistics, question or a small scientific report, etc. It should make the reader feel involved and as if they are reading it for the first time.
- Body: this is made up of many paragraphs and discussions. Students can use the tests (experiments) and results from the initial report and rewrite it. They should structure out the sentences and connect the paragraphs so that it makes sense.
- Relate: re-count the introduction and support it through a proper discussion. Use data and statistics.
- Citation: students should remember to add citations and references. They can do so in the bibliography section. A citation is important. If students don't provide references, their work will be regarded as plagiarism.
- Draft: students should first work on a draft. They can make the necessary changes and improvements. Once, the draft has been approved; they can work on the final document.
Students should go through past year research summaries done by the seniors to get the feel of the style and format. They will then get a fair idea about what is required to them. It's best to start working on research summary when the assignment is given. Last minute ventures always prove to be a hassle and unproductive. And last minute thing puts a limit on their working capacity. Students care not able to justify their work. Their research summary will be full of panic and stress exclamations! Students should do their work with the passion so that even the lecturer can feel their enthusiasm. They should take the interest, and if they have problems, they should ask for help. Research summary writing is similar to other writings. It requires the full attention of the student.
Mistakes Students Should Avoid
Students normally end up picking up sentences from the initial research report and putting it as theirs. This should be avoided at all cost because it becomes plagiarism. At best, they should rewrite it. Other things which they should avoid are:
- Straying away from the topic: students should stay on the topic. They should read what they are writing to avoid making the mistake.
- Forgetting the audience: the idea about summarising or rewriting is to appeal to the audience (reader).
- Ambiguity: students should be clear and precise with their points and writing. They shouldn't keep the lecturer or reader hanging in the air.
- Exceeding the Word Limit: it's best to stay within the word limit. Sometimes, lecturers as per the rule deduct marks because the student doesn't meet the word limit. Every guideline and instruction should be followed.
- Vague Language: students should use strong words to appeal the reader. It can be done through strong vocabulary. It helps the research summary to standout on its own.
Students should utilise their academic skills and knowledge when writing. It helps them get good marks. It also gives a professional look to their work. And lecturers will find that the work has done efficiently.
Tutorsglobe.com offers you Research Report Assignment Help – homework help and course assignments in various management studies. We prepare plagiarism free content for your course assignments as per your requirement, Our Tutors are proficient in writing research report and they develop quality content as per your assignment demand. They teach you how to develop a perfect research report and summary. So get help from qualified experts to achieve high grade in your course assignments.