Humanities Comparative Essay Assignment: Project Paper - Comparative Essay
Write a 750-1,000 word essay which adequately address the topic and requirements stated below.
Step 1: Select a topic from the list below and include this topic on your title page.
• Ancient Male Rulers: Select any two of these rulers: Ramses II, Shihuangdi, Constantine, Ashoka, Pericles, or Charlemagne. Select rulers from different cultures.
• Ancient Female Rulers: Compare the Tang Empress Wu Zetian (also known as Empress Wu or as Wu Zhao; ruled China around 690-705 AD) with either the Pharaoh Cleopatra (ruled Egypt around 51-31 BC) or the Pharaoh Hatshepsut (ruled Egypt around 1478-1458 BC).
Step 2: In your first paragraph, establish a clear thesis about your chosen subjects that addresses:
• Who or what you are comparing
• The dates covered for each
• 3-4 sentences on the reason for your choice
Step 3: Using reasonable and scholarly resources:
• Compare 2 ways your choices are similar
• Compare 2 ways your choices are different
Step 4: Consider your findings on the similarities and differences mentioned earlier and what it might suggest about differences between the subjects' cultures. Using reasonable and scholarly resources:
• Compare 3 ways your choices' cultures are different
Step 5: Using reasonable and scholarly resources:
• Suggest a modern day example of your first choice, and provide a rationale for your suggestion
• Suggest a modern day example of your second choice, and provide a rationale for your suggestion
• For Male rulers....Which President of f U.S, which Governor, Senator, Mayor reminds you of each person you have chosen... your dad or granddad, uncle, brother, etc
• For Female Rulers....Which First lady, Lady Governor, Lady Senator, Lady Mayor reminds you of your choices.. Grandmother, Mother, Aunt, etc
Step 6: In a concluding paragraph, summarize 2 things you learned that in some way ties together with your original thesis.
Step 7: Include a reference area that identifies at least 3 references. The class text may be included in the list of 3 or more. In-text citations are required when paraphrasing or quoting another source. (i.e., STEPS 3, 4, and 5 above)
Step 8: Formatting and writing standards are part of your grade. Align your formatting to the Strayer University Writing Standards. View the: Strayer University Writing Standards (SWS)
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.