Assignment: Controlled Substance Authority With ARNP
Authorizes an ARNP to prescribe, dispense, administer, or order any drug, which would include controlled substances.
ARNP disciplinary sanctions are added to the bill in s. 456.072, F.S., (Section 5) to mirror a physician's sanctions for prescribing or dispensing a controlled substance other in the course of professional practice or failing to meet practice standards. Additional acts for which discipline may be taken against an ARNP relating to practicing with controlled substances that are added to the Nurse Practice Act (Section 10) include:
- Presigning blank prescription forms.
- Prescribing a Schedule II for office use.
- Prescribing, dispensing, or administering an amphetamine or sympathomimetic amine drug, except for specified conditions.
- Prescribing, dispensing, or administering certain hormones for muscle-building or athletic performance.
- Promoting or advertising a pharmacy on a prescription form unless the form also states that the prescription may be filled at the pharmacy of your choice.
- Prescribing, dispensing, or administering drugs, including controlled substances, other than in the course of his or her professional practice.
- Prescribing, dispensing, or administering a controlled substance to himself or herself.
- Prescribing, dispensing, or administering laetrile.
- Dispensing a controlled substance listed in Schedule II or Schedule III in violation of the requirements for dispensing practitioners in the Pharmacy Practice Act.
- Promoting or advertising controlled substances.
After reading the following news article: High-Prescribing Nurse Surrenders Drug Licenses By Lisa Chedekel.
Identify what issues may arise with prescriptive authority of controlled substances and how you may avoid these situations?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.